What is Gnuinos?
Gnuinos is an operating system focused on covering the general porpose of desktop computing. It uses the tools of GNU OS in combination with the Linux kernel. This outfit is called GNU/Linux or GNU+Linux.
The latest release series of Gnuinos is based on Devuan. Devuan is a fork of the Debian GNU/Linux distribution. Its stated first goal is to provide a distribution without the controversial systemd installed by default. The current state of Gnuinos is ALPHA2 meaning still not ready for production, since that the Devuan's development team is still working towards a stable, production ready fork of Debian "Jessie".
Gnuinos uses the nimble OpenBox window manager, but it will offer other alternatives like the Xfce Desktop Environment in the future. The mirrors (available for x86 and x86_64 machines) are iso-hybrid, so they can be transfered to a USB stick in a very easy way. Then you can run the system using the RAM memory, and after booting up from the pendrive you will not end up at a login screen, because no password is needed during live sessions.
- Ultra light base edition with Openbox-3.5 window manager.
- BulmaGés-0.15 (accounting and invoicing programs).
- Compton Composite Manager, a fork of xcompmgr-dana.
- 100% free operating system (there is not propietary software included in it).
- Kernel GNU Linux-libre-3.16.7-1
- Easy hard drive / USB installation using debian-installer, with the posibility of persistance if you want, saving all your system changes in the stick.
Repositories of Gnuinos
Whilst Gnuinos tries to be as lightweight as posible, it doesn't offer many software in advance. But you have the chance to install all extra packages you need from the repositories of gnuinos , containing many software packages ready for installation. Use Synaptic and the APT software management for that.
You must add to the "/etc/apt/sources.list" file the following lines:
deb http://packages.gnuinos.org/ jessie main deb-src http://packages.gnuinos.org/ jessie main
After that, you need to import the public key:
curl http://packages.gnuinos.org/gnuinos_pk.asc | apt-key add -